As a not-for-profit organization, MITRE works in the public interest across federal, state and local governments, as well as industry and academia. We bring innovative ideas into existence in areas as varied as artificial intelligence, intuitive data science, quantum information science, health informatics, space security, policy and economic expertise, trustworthy autonomy, cyber threat sharing, and cyber resilience.
Our achievements are built on a foundation of special attributes:
- Mission-Driven: Our people have a passion for the mission and honor purpose as their highest principle.
- Innovative Approach: Bring an interdisciplinary approach that delivers innovation to our sponsors and our partners.
- Objective Insight: We provide a conflict-free perspective with trusted access to bring proprietary data to decisions.
- Unique Vantage Point: We have the ability to see across government and freely apply learning and experience.
- Technical Know-How: We combine applied science and systems thinking with deep domain expertise to define the right problems and create solutions.
- Pioneering Together: We serve as a thought partner who freely collaborates and helps bring innovative ideas into existence.
We operate FFRDCs—federally funded research and development centers. FFRDCs are unique organizations that assist the United States government with scientific research and analysis; development and acquisition; and systems engineering and integration. We also have an independent research program that explores new and expanded uses of technologies to solve our sponsors' problems.
We Evolve to Meet Future Challenges
As a company chartered to work in the public interest, we have no owners or shareholders, and we don't compete with industry. This lack of commercial conflicts of interest forms the basis for our objectivity. We can acquire sensitive and proprietary information from the government, industry, and other partners to inform our work. Organizations are willing and able to share data because they know we won't use it for a competitive advantage.
And because we operate multiple FFRDCs, we foster a culture of knowledge sharing across the corporation. Our inclusive and diverse workforce takes advantage of this collaborative environment to approach the toughest challenges with creativity and technical rigor. This allows us to apply what we learn from addressing one sponsor's issues to similar ones faced by other federal agencies. The result? When sponsors engage with us, they have access to all the minds of MITRE.
Equally important, we never stop evolving our capabilities and domain expertise. We use knowledge gained from our state-of-the-art laboratories, public-private partnerships, and independent research to scan the horizon constantly for looming challenges to our nation's safety and stability. By exploring new and emerging technologies, we discover the solutions that turn obstacles into opportunities for mission success.