Discovering the future. Powering the possibilities.
As an independent, leading technology and research and development company, MITRE serves as a trusted national resource. We apply our cross-domain technical knowledge and expertise to deliver a data-driven, system-of-systems engineering approach with a single shared mission: solving problems for a safer world.
Through our public-private partnerships and federally funded research and development centers (FFRDCs), we work across government and in partnership with industry and academia to tackle challenges on behalf of our nation’s agencies in both the civil and defense domains.
As a not-for-profit institution committed to the public interest, MITRE operates six FFRDCs, sponsored by the following government agencies:
- Department of Defense | National Security Engineering Center
- Federal Aviation Administration | Center for Advanced Aviation System Development
- Department of the Treasury and Internal Revenue Service, and co-sponsored by the Department of Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, and Department of Commerce | Center for Enterprise Modernization
- Department of Homeland Security | Homeland Security Systems Engineering and Development Institute™
- Department of Health and Human Services | The Health FFRDC
- National Institute of Standards and Technology | National Cybersecurity FFRDC
MITRE operates six FFRDCs on behalf of government agency sponsors.
Founded in 1958, the National Security Engineering Center is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense.
Collaborating across government, academia, and industry to advance America’s position as the foremost global power.
Founded in 1990, the Center for Advanced Aviation System Development is sponsored by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Providing ground-breaking research and trusted partnership to improve aviation and transportation safety and security.
Founded in 1998, the Center for Enterprise Modernization is sponsored by the Dept. of Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service, and co-sponsored by the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, and the Department of Commerce.
Partnering to transform how agencies serve the public.
Founded in 2009, the Homeland Security Systems Engineering and Development Institute™ is sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security.
Driving discoveries that improve our nation’s safety and make our institutions more resilient in the face of threats.
Founded in 2012, the Health FFRDC is sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services.
Addressing complex structural, technical, behavioral, and social challenges that affect health and healthcare delivery.
Founded in 2014, the National Cybersecurity FFRDC is sponsored by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
Focusing on the serious and growing risk cyber attacks pose to economic prosperity, public safety, and national security.