Summer 2020 Student Development
Do you want to join hundreds of other students in helping MITRE solve problems for a safer world? Do you want to spend your summer exploring technology that's changing the future?
MITRE interns do both.
We'll hire you to work on our government sponsors' most pressing problems. You'll be a valued part of a team—delivering substantive results with real value. In addition, you'll have the opportunity to develop your interdisciplinary approach and expertise by participating in one of our learning tracks:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Positioning/Navigation/Timing Systems
- Cyber Warfare
Throughout the summer, you'll move through a journey:
- Discover. Start by meeting experts on the topic and hearing about the impact of MITRE's work in that area.
- Create. Next, you'll receive training in tools, technologies, or content areas related to the topic.
- Lead. Finally, you'll participate in a focused challenge that builds on what you've learned.
The result? An internship that combines great work experience with increased knowledge in an emerging technology field.
Interested in Experiencing Summer at MITRE?
Here's the process:
- If you're interested in being considered for a summer internship, use the “I’m Interested” button to provide the requested information and your resume. Before submitting, please read the FAQs below.
- We will forward resumes of students who best meet our hiring needs to our hiring managers.
- We will review resumes and expect to make offers by early February. In select cases, some departments continue to hire into early spring.
- If selected, you will be scheduled for a discussion with a hiring manager (or multiple managers). They will talk to you about the type of work that interns do in their department.
- If you're interested, the department will have follow-up discussions and make an offer if there is mutual interest.
- Once hired, the department will contact you again in April with more specifics on your project for the summer and discuss expected results. They will also verify a start and end date, as well as answer any other questions you have.
Looking for an internship in an area other than tech? We are hiring health, enterprise strategy, and business related summer internship positions. Visit our Jobs page to learn about our openings.
- +What are you looking for in a student?
At MITRE, we seek out students with high academic achievement who demonstrate that they're curious, constant learners; show an interest in serving the public; and want to become deep and broad technical and subject matter experts.
- +What majors are you interested in?
We hire a lot of computer science-related majors and electrical and computer engineers. We love math and physics majors, too. We also have increasing needs for cybersecurity student experts and those with analytics and data science education and experience. We also value students with an interdisciplinary approach or experience. Additionally, our intern population consists of critical thinkers studying health, enterprise strategy, and business related majors. You can find those openings on our Jobs page.
- +Do you hire only undergraduates? What about graduate or high school students?
Most of our interns are rising college juniors or seniors, but we hire exceptional students even in high school. Many students join MITRE as they finish their freshman or sophomore year and work for MITRE for multiple years. And we hire about 15-20% graduate students; many of them help mentor our more junior students.
- +Where are the internships located?
We have opportunities across the U.S., but most internships are in Bedford, Mass., or McLean, Virginia. Many of our other offices hire several interns as well, including:
- Colorado Springs, Colo.
- San Diego, Calif.
- Tampa, Fla.
- Huntsville, Alabama
- Baltimore, Md.
View all of MITRE's locations.
- +What are the dates of the program?
Our internships last 8-10 weeks. You will work with your manager to identify a start date in late May or early June (high school students may start later) and one of four end dates in late July or early August.
- +Do I need a clearance?
Most internships don't require a clearance. But when you graduate, we want you to start your career with MITRE, and for a large majority of positions you would need a clearance. For that reason, we give preference to students who are clearable.
- +Do you hire students who need sponsorship to work in the U.S.?
Due to the nature of our work, MITRE does not hire students who will require sponsorship to work in the U.S. either now or in the future.
- +When can I expect to hear whether I am being considered for the program?
We are tentatively aiming to extend offers by early February. If you have not received an update about your candidacy, you are still under consideration. All of our internship opportunities will be filled by April 15. If you are not selected to move forward in the process, you will be notified within 4-6 weeks of expressing interest.
- +What if I don't receive an internship offer?
If you are not accepted into the program this summer, continue to learn and enhance your skills and abilities, and we encourage you to apply again next year.
- +Will I receive an offer of full-time employment from MITRE after my internship?
Students scheduled to graduate within 6 to 10 months after their internship may receive an offer for full-time employment. MITRE converts almost 65% of our interns to full-time employees.