Aviation & Transportation
Our researchers look at the changing needs of our sponsors and other stakeholders in the aviation community and then develop forward-looking ideas to solve problems in the near term and the far term.
Our research includes efforts to:
- Increase the capacity and reliability of the national airspace system (NAS)
- Improve NAS safety and security
- Minimize aviation's impact on the environment
- Accommodate unmanned aircraft systems in the NAS
- Develop agile ways to deliver NAS services
- Design NAS enhancements and procedures through cognitive engineering
- Build analytical tools and capabilities to support key sponsor investment and policy decisions.
In addition, since aviation is inherently a global enterprise, we're pursuing research to explore and resolve problems in international operations. We're also studying the role of aviation in the broader transportation system.