Accelerating cross-cutting capabilities for America’s health.
MITRE works in the public interest to address complex structural, technical, behavioral, and social challenges that affect health and healthcare delivery. The goal? Better outcomes to empower patients and clinicians, ensure access to care, improve health equity, accelerate biomedical innovation, and ensure global health security.
We operate the Health FFRDC on behalf of sponsors across the Department of Health and Human Services. Through multi-disciplinary teams, this federally funded research and development center serves all federal agencies with health and human services missions: the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Food and Drug Administration, National Institutes of Health (NIH), Health Resources and Services Administration, Administration for Children and Families, and more.
The Health FFRDC allows for rapid collaboration and innovation to meet the ambitious goals of transforming America’s healthcare system and protecting and promoting health and well-being, while staying nimble to address emerging threats.
We advance evidence-based policy making, driving inventive approaches to effective and equitable federal health policies and programs. Our experts bring institutional and policy knowledge, applied science, and systems thinking to identify problems and create solutions.
With an eye to the future, we mobilize the right people, convene stakeholders, and lead public-private partnerships across health and human services sectors to foster advanced innovations.
Open, Interoperable, Equitable Outcomes
Our objectivity and trusted access to public and confidential data enable us to create new insights. How? By applying deep systems thinking to spearhead transformative innovations, such as:
- Rapidly convening a commission that delivered a report identifying 100+ action steps to improve safety and quality of life in nursing homes
- Easing burden on stressed health systems during disease outbreaks, with secure, accessible remote health monitoring and reporting
- Partnering with CDC to create a data-driven approach to address childhood obesity research—now expanding to include adults
- Providing guidance to improve assessments of medical-device cybersecurity vulnerabilities
- Combatting COVID-19 by speeding development of diagnostics with NIH, and driving science-based deployment of therapeutics at the federal level
- Analyzing value-based payment models to assure high-quality, lower-cost care
- Addressing equity throughout all aspects of the healthcare delivery system
With our unique perspective, we bridge government and the private sector to accelerate solutions to the most pressing healthcare and public health problems.
Latest News & Insights
Children’s Mental Health Crisis in United States Demands Nationwide “System of Systems” Approach
MITRE-Harris Poll: Many Patients Feel Ignored or Doubted When Seeking Medical Treatment
Engineering By Humans, For Humans
Closing the Spaces in the U.S. Healthcare Gap
MITRE Health Advisory Council
MITRE Names Beth Meinert Senior Vice President and General Manager, MITRE Public Sector
Keeping Healthcare Funds—and Patients—Safer
Health Innovation Center
Fostering advances through a unique multi-disciplinary approach, to help solve our nation’s toughest health problems.
Connect with the Health FFRDC Team
Our multidisciplinary experts help our partners address the most pressing challenges in public health.
Amplify your impact
We’re looking for mission-oriented people to help us grow our collective impact in the communities where we work and live.